Our educational approach combines respect for history with immersion in contemporary issues, and it combines intellectual engagement with creative expression. We offer a Theater Studies major and two minors, and our courses and productions are open to all Duke undergraduates.
Our classes are designed to encourage you to solve problems in collaboration with others, to develop skills in critical thinking, and to communicate effectively with language, visual images, and bodily expression. Our focus on the development of artistic and intellectual skills, through study and production experience, helps prepare you for careers not only in the professional theater but also in a variety of other fields.
Highlights of our Curriculum:
- Combination of production experience and academic coursework
- Opportunity to write plays
- Intimate, small classes with scholars in dramatic literature, theater history, and performance studies as well as theater professionals in acting, directing, design/theater technology, and writing for stage, film, and television
- Numerous visiting artists and playwright-in-residence programs that connect you with theater professionals
- Theater-focused global education programs to help launch your careers